Who can apply for a proxy vote?
If you are registered to vote then you can apply for a proxy vote. This is when someone you trust votes on your behalf, because you are unable to. When you apply for a proxy vote you must provide a reason. You can apply for a proxy vote if:
• You are unable to go to the polling station because, for example, you are away on holiday
• You have a physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station
• Your employment means that you cannot go to the polling station
• Your attendance on an educational course means that you cannot go to the polling station
• You are a British citizen living overseas
• You are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces
How do I apply for a Proxy Vote?
Download an application form here
If you live in Ipswich you can scan and submit your completed form online. Click “Contact Us – Elections (Individual Enquiries)”, sign-up for or login to My Ipswich and then select “an individual” and “Submit a proxy vote application form”.
Or post your form to:
Electoral Registration Officer
Ipswich Borough Council
15-17 Russell Road
If you want a proxy vote for the local elections on 4 May 2023 the Council must receive your form by 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Emergency and Permanent Proxy Votes
If you find out that you won’t be able to vote in person after the deadline or your situation means that you need a proxy vote on long term basis special arrangements apply. Visit https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/how-vote-proxy for more information.